Some of you may be thinking what is SSL/HTTPS?
You may or may not have noticed, however within your browser some website URLS start with https:// this means they have an SSL certificate or alternatively you may see the lock symbol, again this means they are protected.
An SSL certificate enables the HTTPS protocol to encrypt your WordPress site's traffic. This protects your website's security and your users' privacy. You should use SSL for these reasons but also because WordPress recommends HTTPS and since Google penalizes websites that don't have an SSL certificate.
Why Use SSL/HTTPS with WordPress
If you're tempted to put off enabling SSL/HTTPS for WordPress, consider these things.
- Your WordPress admin password can be intercepted without SSL/HTTPS.
- Any details your users submit via your website can be stolen.
- Your WordPress site will be insecure and can be hacked.
- WordPress now recommends HTTPS usage.
- Browsers are starting to show security warnings for non-SSL websites.
- Browser warnings are slated to become more aggressive with time.
- Google uses SSL/HTTPS as a search ranking signal — you may be losing referrals.
- Not using SSL/HTTPS on your WordPress site can harm your credibility.
- In the future, some WordPress features may work only when SSL/HTTPS is used.
- "Everybody's doing it" — and for good reason. This is not a fad.
Like Google and WordPress, we recommend setting up SSL/HTTPS right away. You only stand to gain. Find out how we can add an SSL Certificate to your website
Contact us today and add an SSL Certificate to your website.